2nd December 2019
Puku Ridge New Images
As you may remember it's a completely reimagined tented camp deep inside Zambia’s incredible South Luangwa National Park. It is having a soft opening month in November and then closes for the season before opening officially in April 2020.
Are you working on any 'New for 2020' pieces? Or we will be arranging a couple of individual press trips for early April, if that would be of interest. I'd love to discuss what angles might be of most interest and then we can create a trip. It will definitely take in Puku Ridge, and then could also visit one of the sister camps in the Lower Zambezi, and we can also look at other options such as mobile bush camps, other new camps in Zambia.
The camp and its eight tented suites offer another level of comfort and design with custom-built, near-silent air-conditioning, rooftop starbeds and private plunge pools. What really sets the camp apart, is its guiding, design and location: there is game right in front of the camp and no other people nearby, which is now rare in South Luangwa.
I've included a summary below and can send a press release if of interest.
- Positioned on one of the South Luangwa National Park’s prime secluded sites and overlooking a wildlife-rich floodplain and waterhole, where there’s always something to see
- The water hole is right in front of camp and will be pumped at some times of year ensuring there is always wildlife to see
- A new level of guiding in this area and taking successful elements from their sister camps ie Old Mondoro uses red filters on its spotlights and has seen 42 aardvark sightings just two months into the season
- No people in the surrounding area, which is getting rarer in South Luangwa
- Local wildlife includes leopards, lions, elephants, buffalos, hippos, wild dogs, the endemic Thornicroft's giraffe and Cookson’s wildebeest, genet cats, various mongooses, civets and honey badgers
- Zambia offers a varied safari experience combining river based experiences on the Lower Zambezi with amazing bush experiences in the South Luangwa
- South Luangwa is often credited as being the birthplace of the walking safari
- Camp has a photography hide, elegant lounge and terrace areas with fire pit, and star terrace with telescope
- As well as a private deck, complete with sun loungers and plunge pool, one of the suites’ key features is the rooftop, four poster star bed, where guests can sleep under the stars to the sounds of the bush (whilst still having all the comforts of their suite downstairs)
- Designed by Luxury Frontiers, who have also worked on Abu Camp, Belmond Savute Elephant Lodge, Belmond Eagle Island Lodge
- Chiawa Safaris, the first carbon neutral safari business in the world and the first in Africa with Silver status, which means even guests’ domestic air travel is offset. Puku Ridge will contribute to existing conservation, education and social charities already operating effectively in the area including; Conservation South Luangwa; Zambia Carnivore Project; Chipembele wildlife education project; Biocarbon Partners
- Sister properties; Chawa Camp and Old Mondoro allow guests to create a really well-rounded trip to Zambia taking in the country’s different geographies and wildlife. Attractive packages combining the camps offer some of the best value for safari experience in Zambia if location, guiding, personalised service and wildlife feature high in priorities
- Rates - From $810 (£627) per person per night (Shoulder season - April 01-June 30 & October 16- December 01) and from $1,000 (£775) per person per night (Peak Season July 01 – October 15) including transfers between Mfuwe Airport and Puku Ridge Camp, accommodation, all meals, beverages, daily laundry, professionally guided game viewing drives [day and night] and bush walks (where guests are flexible with times and are willing to share with others). Rate do not include a non-commissionable $110 Tourism Levy/DNPW Fees/ Conservation & Carbon collection per person per night